What's On Southland & South Otago
What's On Southland & South Otago
WHAT'S ON SOUTHLAND
Longford Intermediate 50th Reunion 1972 - 2022 is being organised for Friday 8th & Saturday 9th April 2022. Reconnect with old friends and reminisce about your school days at Longford. Open to all former students, staff, PTA & BOT members. Registration forms available from Longford Intermediate School, our Facebook Page (search for Longford Intermediate School 50th Reunion) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Due to the uncertainty around COVID, the Menzies College 50th Reunion Committee has made the decision to postpone its Reunion. It was moved that a new date of Waitangi Weekend 2026 will be the celebration of 55 years of Menzies College. We thank everyone for their support and refunds will be redistributed to bank account in due course. For more you can email email@example.com, or phone Julie 0274454719.
- "The Colour of Paint" is an art exhibition by Julie Duncan and Helen Keith on at the Croydon Aviation Heritage Centre in Mandeville until SUN 12 DEC. Open daily 10am-4pm, entry is free. Enjoy a coffee at Miss Cocoa next door. 40 paintings on show created during lockdown.
- Go Retail presents 'Christmas in Gore" late night retail shopping evening on THURS 9 DEC until 8pm, and SUN 19 DEC from 10am-2pm. Enjoy free parking in Gore CBD each weekend of December, and the week into Christmas Day. Look for the green hats on the meters!
- All three Southern Toot for Tucker/Food Drive events are being held THURS 2 DEC:
- GORE= Gore River Valley Lions for Salvation Army Food Bank. From 6pm please leave donations in a bag near your mailbox on the night. Accepting non perishable goods, toiletries, canned food, cleaning products. pet food etc. Donations can also be left at SBS Main St Gore and The Ensign before or after the event. Watch and Listen for us on the night. All collectors will be wearing Lions, Salvation Army hi viz jackets. For more contact Wendy Goodwin 0272811803.
- BALCLUTHA AND STIRLING = 6.30pm to 8.30pm. Usually organised by the Salvation Army, but they are unable to do it this year, so Clutha District Council and the Christmas Parade group stepped in. Supported on the night by police, fire and ambulance services. More volunteers were needed to act as runners in support of the Balclutha Lions and Scouts, who have already volunteered members.
- INVERCARGILL = Harcourts Southland Food Bank Drive collecting non-perishable goods from your home between 6.00pm and 8.00pm, please have these items clearly visible from the street close to your mailbox. If you'd like to make a donation in Invercargill outside of this head into the following drop off points: Harcourts - 182 Dee St or Westpac - 62 Kelvin St & 66 Windsor St.
It is a massive weekend of motorsport at Teretonga Park SAT 4-SUN 5 DEC with ten classes of motor racing with many of the fields featuring very healthy grid numbers. The big banger OSCA Super Saloons enter Round 2 of their championship with Dunedin driver Steve Ross leading by the barest of margins in his Jaguar TraNZam XK. Several of the classes will feature large grids of cars with the Noel McIntyre Drainage Club Saloons sporting very healthy numbers. The Historic & Classic Pre 78 grid is another large one with some fascinating cars from the pre-78 era while the South Island F1600 Championship will feature wheel to wheel single seater racing with another large field featuring some experienced names up against plenty of youthful up and coming talent. All attendees must be double vaccinated and have their My Vaccine pass with them when entering Teretonga Park. The programme will cover two full days from 9am on both Saturday and Sunday with testing, qualifying and 30 races across the weekend. Pre-sale weekend passes are on sale from Auto Centre in Tweed Street, Invercargill and E Hayes & Sons in Invercargill.
- Mataura Lions Club is hosting their Toot for Tucker / Food Drive on THURS 9 DEC from 7pm. Please leave donations in a bag near your mailbox on the night. Accepting non perishable goods, toiletries, canned food, cleaning product, pet food etc. Donations can be also left at SBS Main Street Gore and the Ensign before or after the event. All collectors will be wearing lions / salvation army hi viz vests.
All donation items will go to the Salvation Army food bank in Gore. For more information contact Diane Callaghan 0272501087.
- South Otago Police and Blue Light are hosting "Take a Kid Fishing" for all kids up to 18yrs on SUN 12 DEC. Registration at Balclutha Soccer Club from 9am on the day, or collect an early entry form from the Balclutha Police Station. Weigh in is between 1pm-2:30pm followed by prize giving at the Soccer Club. No fishing licence required for the day, and 40 rods available to loan from Fish and Game. Great prizes to be won including spot prizes!
- The Great Elf Hunt is on SUN 12 DEC at Paterson Park and Gardens, 162 Greenvale School Road. Come along for a fun day in the garden with your family. Find the cheeky elves and be in to win some great prizes! From 11am-3pm. Find more on the Paterson Park and Gardens Facebook page.